Popular Posts

February 23, 2015

Glass Etched Mason Jar - Wedding Center Piece




Do it yourself crafts for everyday decor is pretty popular. I have always liked to make things myself, rather than spend top dollar for something brand new.

My wedding was no different. My husband and I were going through a financial slump around the time we were planning our wedding. But due to a waiting period of six years we were just ready to get the marriage over with. Both of us had lost a grandparent, him a year before and me a month before the wedding. We didn't want to wait till we had enough money for the perfect wedding, but no one able to fly or drive to be there for our special day. So we found the cheapest place that looked decent, bought a wedding dress on the sale rack, and looked into youtube for "how to" tutorials

At the time I didn't know what I was going to do for center pieces. I kind of wanted mirrors with candles laying on top but was a little nervous of little hands wanting to play with them or starting a fire. Then one of my bridesmaids called me and said she was at a yard sale and she found 12 mason for a dollar. It was a no brainer, 12 mason jars for a dollar or glass mirrors $5.00 each. I told her to grab them and I would figure it out. Most brides have the perfect wedding already all planned out. I was lucky enough to have no idea and tons of crafty ideas to decide from. I was ready for cheap and compromise, compromise. 

So I didn't want to spend the money on ribbon or lace because that can add up as well. I do glass etching in my free time and already owned Armour Etch Cream. Once I found sticker I wanted as my stencil I was in business. I found them at Walmart for $1.00 a pack. So a total of $12.00. Also I wanted more than just the mason jar sitting in the middle of a large table, I wanted a candle on the inside so my guests could see the leaf shape so I found candles at the dollar store. 10 tea lights for $1.00. Grabbed 4 packs just in case and then I needed to get to work. 

Step 1: Wash the Jars surface of all dirt or smudges. 

Step 2: Place the stickers on the jar in the arrangement that you want.

Step 3: Apply the etching cream on the surface areas you wish to frost/etch. Be sure to not let the cream touch your skin! The cream has chemicals in it that burn the glass surface, which means it's going to burn your skin. I like to wear rubber yellow gloves when I work with the cream. 

Step 4: Let the cream sit on the surface for 1 minute. 

Step 5: Wash off the cream and peel the stickers off the jar and wash well if it's on something you will be drinking or eating from. 

For a video tutorial [click here]

So after all the jars were done I still wanted some some added width because the mason jar clearly had height but on such a large table, not enough width. So I found Silk Leaves to place on the table. It added color and width to the table. The final touch? My aunt asked me what I was going to do with the screw on lids from the mason jars. I told her nothing, I didn't think I was going to use them at all. My aunt suggested I spray them with Glitter Blast Spray Paint . My uncle sprayed them and I loved the added detail.  

So here is the finished product:



Supplies:


                      



I hope this gave you some inspiration and some ideas for your future Do it Yourself projects.

~~~

Have a Sweeter Day Than Yesterday

2 comments:

  1. What a cute project! You can use any shape to suit anyone's interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Any sticker can create different themes for any occasion or even just everyday candle holder. Or even a vase. Thanks for Reading. Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete