Popular Posts

April 4, 2015

The Great Lost Bear (review)




Food review in Portland, Maine! So I've mentioned before that my husband and I are new to Maine. Moved here several months ago and are still finding beat places. This St. Patrick's day my husband decided we would try something new. He looked up bars in Maine and saw The Great Lost Bear had a 3.9 star review. So we got dressed up and went out.

Parking: Off street parking woo who! My husband hates parking on the street and since we had never been there before was worried that since it's in Portland we would have to. Turns out they have a parking lot to the left of the building. It's a bit small but we found a spot and went inside.


Building & Decor: is a little worn and the inside wood, walls, and artwork are as well. Even though everything looks like it's been there a while, everything looks like it's supposed to. I don't know how to explain it but as soon as we stepped in we felt comfortable and chill. The overall atmosphere was bar you would bring family and friends too. The lights weren't to dark, the music wasn't to loud, and spacing wasn't to crowded. 



Service: Our waitress was pretty cool. All the servers were wearing green on account of the holiday I assume. They were pretty friendly and really patient answering our awkward questions. Having never been there before we had a lot of questions. My husband is really picky about his food and his beer. They explained sizes, sides, and their favorite foods and beers. Overall fairly friendly, but again just right, no fake smiles.

Menu: For such a small looking place they had a rather large menu! And my eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach.  I just couldn't decide and neither could my husband. They had salads that sounded tasty, burgers that sounded mouth watering, chicken that sounded delicious. There was a lot to choose from. The menu itself was pretty entertaining also. Little drawings all over the place and funny phrases to describe the food. It took us forever to order, not just because we couldn't decide but because we were having so much fun commenting about the look of the menu.


Food: Was amazing. Brought out to us hot & melting. My husband and I finally decided on 2 Philly Cheesesteak bombs. Shaved steak, grilled with green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Melted on top was their seasoned cheese sauce. I didn't even add mayo to mine! The fries were great too. Not fancy, but definitely sliced and cooked, not from a bag. However, we did see some mean looking burger at the table next to us were a lil jealous. But that's for round 2!


Top it off: So I guess you figured it out. That my husband and I had a lot of fun and loved The Great Lost Bear. But there was something else that I couldn't keep my eyes off while there. Glass Etching Windows . . . as part of the walls separating the dining areas. If you've seen some of my other blogs particularly the Glass Etched Mason Jar one, you'll know I love etching glass. Now there's a reason these etching were so interesting to me. First they are on huge pieces of window panes and second none of of them were alike. Someone had designed them. And I'm dying to know how, who and how long did it take to do!?



So there you have it. If your in the Portland area and want great food and a relaxing place to chill and hang The Great Lost Bear has my vote. Hey! And let us know when you're in town. My husband and I always like good food and a good time!

Thanks for reading! 
~~~~~
Have a Sweeter Day Than Yesterday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment